Re: Scan rate for Elonex MN009 monitor

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:35:47AM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:12:36PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> >
> > No. Sorry. I don't know and I don't support linux, ;-)
>
> :-)
>
> > No idea if this will work, but what happens if you run lilo vga=xxx to
> > enter framebuffer mode and then use fbset to capture the sync rates?
>
> Er... I haven't installed the system yet on the box which is to use
> that monitor. I was trying to know all the unknowns before I start...
> not only for ease of installation, but for deciding whether to grab a
> faster or a slower video card off the heap to build the box. Trying it
> on one of my other boxes is awkward, as they all have custom kernels
> without framebuffer support.

Ah, I see... You _could_ however, run a knoppix CD on your system, I
guess. Specify a nice frambuffer mode at startup, query it later...

> I don't quite see how this would work, though - AIUI framebuffer uses
> a file similar to XF86Config to define its modes. And given the
> missing pins in the plug, I don't think it's possible to interrogate
> this monitor to determine its capabilities. It's quite old. But
> similarly old and apparently crappy monitors sometimes turn out not to
> be crappy, and have surprisingly good scan rate specs; or sometimes
> they are annoyingly crappy, and only accept particular combinations of
> horizontal and vertical frequencies. Another feature of old monitors
> is that they don't shut down when presented with a mode they can't
> handle, which discourages experimentation.

I'm not sure it will work, either. However, I was under the impression
that kernel framebuffer drivers use real mode vesa 2.0 extensions to set
the video mode and query the video card. And the video cards are able to
query/test/whatever the monitor. I don't recall to have ever needed to
set video timings in dos, ;-) Anyway, I'm not an expert...

David