Re: Newbie Q: Where are my kernel sources?

On Wed, 13 Aug 2003 12:00:21 +1000
Chris Share <cpsmusic@labyrinth.net.au> wrote:

> I tried what you suggested and found plenty of files however apt-cache
> still didn't tell me where they were on my computer.
>
> How do I figure out the file path to the kernel-headers?

Kernel headers are in subdirectories of /usr/src, one subdirectory for each
kernel version.

If you are running kernel 2.4.18-686 (for example), you need the
kernel-headers-2.4.18-686 package. I don't know if installing the package
gives you a tarball (which you must then expand) or a directory of files.

The idea of headers is to take the place of the full source tree, for people
who don't intend to compile the kernel itself. Headers supply information
about the way the kernel was compiled, which is used to compile some other
things, for example modem driver modules.

Kevin