Re: nforce kernel modules

On Wed, Aug 13, 2003 at 02:22:28AM +0200, Roberto Sanchez wrote:

> I went back and looked at the init script.  It seems like the script
> relies on a successful modprobe of the various modules to actually
> complete correctly.  (I'm not an expert on shell scripts, so I could
> be wrong).  It occurred to me that maybe having chosen the sound
> support as all y's (instead of m's) was causing a problem.  So, I
> recompiled the kernel with all sound support in modules, and
> everything works ok now.  My mixer settings persist from one startup
> to the next.
>
> I also had to edit /etc/defaults/alsa to have it load the OSS
> emulation by defualt to get rid of the error from Audacity on the
> nForce2 machine.  But the ALSA driver itself (i8x0) works great now.

Very good to hear.  Glad things are working correctly now.  You might
want to file a minor bug on the alsa package concerning the init
script's reliance on modprobing.  I believe there are other ways that
could be checked that would work for both module and monolithic kernels.

--
Jamin W. Collins

This is the typical unix way of doing things: you string together lots
of very specific tools to accomplish larger tasks. -- Vineet Kumar