re nvidia drivers

I'm still trying to install nvidia drivers. I started by
installing the .debs for nvidia-kernel-src and nvidia-glx-src
and using the documentation then available. This I found
somewhat confusing - nontheless I soldiered on.

Eventually, I got 'nvidia-kernel-1.0.3123-4.deb' created
and installed it with 'dpkg -i'.

Then, I got the nvidia-glx*.deb created (wget seemed to be
used to download something I thought I already had).
'dpkg -i' is unable to install the package because
"nvidia kernel is not installed".

'dpkg -l' shows:-
ii nvidia-kernel-1.0.3123       NVIDIA binary kernel module
ii nvidia-glx-src-1.0.3123      NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver
iU nvidia-glx-1.0.3123          NVIDIA binary XFree86 4.x driver

Can anyone explain why the nvidia kernel cannot be seen?

Grateful for assistance.                John.