Re: Interesting Mail setup

On Sat, Aug 09, 2003 at 06:14:39PM -0500, mustafa taha al-shawaf wrote:
> So I've been looking into this and this is what I have come up with so far:
> YahooPOPs + fetchmail + (sendmail or exim or qmail or postfix) + procmail.

I use fetchyahoo and fetchmail to get my mail, and procmail to sort it.
I also use spamassassin to filter my spam.

This is all very very simple.

For fetchmail I have the following .fetchmailrc file:
poll pop.psq.com protocol pop3 username bijan@psq.com password xxxxxxxx
poll mail.crasseux.com protocol pop3 username trustno1%crasseux.com password xxxxxxxx

I have fetchmail run in crontab as:
* * * * * fetchmail -m procmail &> /dev/null

This runs fetchmail once a minute, passing incoming messages to procmail
and sending all ouput from fetchmail (including error messages) to
/dev/null. You should probably use the -s (silent flag) to do this
instead.

I have fetchyahoo run in crontab as:
* * * * * fetchyahoo --username=rsoleymani --password=xxxxxxxx --spoolfile=procmail --pipe &> /dev/null

This runs fetchyahoo once a minute, passing incoming messages to
procmail and sending all output from fetchyahoo to /dev/null, etc.

That is all you need to get your mail from yahoo and pop server onto
your computer.

This is my .procmailrc file that I use to filter my messages:

#Use spamassassin to flag spam.
:0fw
| /usr/bin/spamassassin

#Move flagged spam into the spam folder.
:0:

#Handle mailing lists.
:0
* ^X-Mailing-List.*debian
/home/bijan/Maildir/.lists.debian/

:0
* ^List-Id:.*hurd
/home/bijan/Maildir/.lists.hurd/

:0
* ^TO.*ICEBIKE
/home/bijan/Maildir/.lists.icebike/

:0
* ^TO.*mlug
/home/bijan/Maildir/.lists.mlug/

:0
/home/bijan/Maildir/

man fetchmail, procmail, procmailrc and procmailex should contain enough
information.

Hope this helps,
Bijan