Re: [OT: Elfquest] WAS: Re: Howto released: Using OpenLDAP on Debian Woody to serve Linux andSamba users

On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 05:32:12PM +0100, Pigeon wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 01:56:55PM +0200, David Fokkema wrote:
> > On Tue, Aug 12, 2003 at 11:25:00AM +0200, Stephan Seitz wrote:
> > > Shade and sweet water!
> >
> > I was going to argue that this is an incorrect translation and should've
> > been 'shade and fresh water', but, apparantly, this is wrong. Wendy
> > herself has said 'shade and sweet water'. Why? Is there some sort of
> > english subtlety I miss here? Why is water sweet?
> >
> > I am from the Netherlands, where they say: 'schaduw en zoet water',
> > where 'zoet' means 'sweet', but 'zoet water', as opposed to 'zout
> > water', means 'fresh water' as opposed to 'salt (sea) water'.
>
> 'Sweet' has a more general meaning of 'good' with a sense of
> 'comforting' or 'deeply satisfying', as well as the specific meaning
> of 'tastes like sugar'. There are places in America called Sweet Water
> where hot, thirsty and tired pioneers on the trail got to a river and
> made good use of it, or something.

That's nice to know. Sweet Water... We don't have names like that in
the Netherlands, as far as I can think of, but then, there's a _lot_ of
sweet/fresh water around here...

> From your 2nd para, it sounds like the Dutch use is pretty similar,
> which isn't too surprising as it's obviously the same word spelt a bit
> different. Do you mean that you always say 'zoet water', and don't say
> '<Dutch word for 'fresh'> water'?

Yes, I do. It's always 'zoet water'. Other translations of 'fresh'
combined with 'water':

As in 'fresh vegetables'      vers water (lately gathered water)

As in 'It's fresh outside'    fris water (cool water)

Can it be 'fresh' as 'cool' outside? (I might have gotten a little bit
confused, here, ;-). At least I know of fresh breezes, between moderate
and strong, but that is somewhat different...

David