gv

Hi, there's been a strange and sudden decline in the capability of 'gv'
in correctly displaying postscript files for the Debian computers I
maintain here at my work.  One of the Debian users here first
complained of this to me a couple weeks ago.  He claimed that a
postscript file he had viewed many times previously with 'gv' would now
not suddenly view correctly (it showed only a very small portion of the
postscript).  Being somewhat suspicious of his machine, I first tried
viewing the problematic postscript file on my machine running the same
stable version of Debian and in my shell environment.  I got the same
strange result.  I have to admit that I was still skeptical of there
being a problem with 'gv' thinking something must be wrong with his
file although he claimed the same thing for several other postscript
files he has.  Knowing that 'gv' is just an interface for 'gs', I tried
running 'gs' alone and it works fine.  Well, today, I ran across a
postscript file in my home dir that I have used across many different
platforms and versions of 'gv' anytime I need a postscript file to test
an application (it's a simple postscript level 1 file).  Sure enough,
'gv' comes up blank even though 'gs' will show it normally.

Debian machines although it used to.  I make regular security updates
on all machines.  Can the recent changes in kernel have anything to do
with this or can anyone come up with a better guess?

Thanks to anyone and all who read!

Paul

--
Paul Yeatman       (858) 534-9896        pyeatman@ucsd.edu