firewire/usb2.0/ide enclosures.

I'm looking for a solution to backup a server that has about 40 gig a day
of daily backups.  Too big for a DDS-4 tape, and DLT/AIT/etc are just too
expensive considering the alternatives available.  The critical files are
already backed up onto tape, I'm looking to expand what is backed up to
the not as important stuff.

Anyways, I'm looking at using a pair of 120 or 200 gig Maxtor DiamondMax
Plus 9 or Maxline drives, and rotating the drives offsite, using a script
to copy the days backup onto the drive.  Replace drives when I drop them,
of course. (not that that ever happens.  *stares at a dead jaz drive and
disks*)

The server machine has both firewire and usb 2.0 ports, and has IDE ports
available.  ASUS P4B533-E.

I was looking at the:

http://www.vipower.com/product/SmartDisk/35_hdd_smartdisk/vp_9054v.htm

combo unit(the 9054V), which has a common carrier, and a Firewire and
also USB 2.0 cable.

As well, I'd like another unit to use for moving large amounts of files
around, and for restoring Windows images from the .tar.gz without having
to power down a server to get at the files.  Those backup servers have USB
2.0 ports, but no firewire and obviously no IDE available.

So I guess my question is, just how much slower is a USB 2.0 or Firewire
interface going to be than the native IDE?  I usually see around 35-40
meg a second transfers with the bare drive on IDE, what could I expect
from 2.0/Firewire?  It would simplify things a bit if i didn't have to
try and connect this directly to the IDE controller on the MB.

If firewire wasn't much faster than USB 2.0, then I could get just the
plain USB2.0 cable, saving a few dollars as well.

Mike