Re: I want separate MUA/MTA/MDA

On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 10:22:55AM -0700, Mark Ferlatte wrote:
> I would say that if you want to be a Unix admin, you'd better know
> sendmail, if only so that you can make a coherent argument for
> replacing it with something that you like better.

The other good reason any UNIX admin should be familiar with sendmail
configuration is that most of the servers you run probably won't be mail
servers themselves. It's usually going to be a whole lot faster to take
a few minutes to throw together an M4 file to point them at your real
mail server as a smarthost than to download and install your favorite
MTA. The whole world doesn't run on Linux, and the overwhelming majority
of UNIX-like systems (including quite a few Linux distributions) ship
with some version of sendmail. The main nuisance is that different
vendors and different OS releases from the same vendor often use
different versions of sendmail, so you can't always use the same M4 file
for all your servers.

--
Michael Heironimus