Re: Helping the newbie

On Fri, 08 Aug 2003, Jeremy Davis wrote:

> I think linux servers are less complicated than linux desktops.  At least
> they are to me.  The only headaches I've had with linux were on the desktop.
> The desktop needs more software that I "don't understand" if that makes any
> sense.  XFree86, then window managers, and then none of it works because of
> my video card.  I guess I just feel comfortable with the command line enough
> to not need a GUI.  I do run Windows XP for my laptop.  I am a firm believer
> of going with the best possible solution.  Generally that equates to Windows
> on the LAN and Linux on WAN.  I am sure that some of the linuxheads will
> jump down my throat, but it's what works for me.  I do not regularly manage
> windows machines, but some of the applications are nice.  Delorme Topo is my
> friend.  As well as MS Visio.  I know that linux has the equivalents and
> such.  I just don't have the time to convert everything over and re-learn
> applications that I am already familiar with.  Once again thank you to all
> that have increased m knowledge of debian!!

Although I prefer Debian, I know plenty of people who prefer Mandrake
for a desktop OS.  Have you given it a try?  (I tend to find the number
and depth of packages in Debian enough of a benefit to not switch to
another distro)

~ Jesse Meyer

[ Forgive this late posting - I'm composing this Friday night, but due
to a mini-weekend 'vacation', this laptop won't have a network til
Monday. ]

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night