Re: how NOT to work with debian

Yes, it seems kde is not installed. startkde should work.
Perhaps you should rerun apt-get and see if you can install kde?
	apt-get install kdebase
Perhaps there is a problem with the installation? Maybe even run:
	apt-get install kdebase --reinstall

Otherwise, you could (if desperate) just use a window manager and an
xterm (it's very light, starts up fast!). If you know the name of the
programs you run (eg mozilla, konqueror) they can be started manually.
To do this, your .xinitrc should read:
	#a window manager: may need to apt-get one? eg:
	sawfish&
	#And your xterm (when closed, X session will finish)
	xterm
Note the & after your wm name. Now you can manually start programs like
so:
	mozilla&

Any problems reinstalling kde, keep mailing.

--
Damien Solley
dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au