Re: how NOT to work with debian

On Monday 11 August 2003 3:36 am, Antony Gelberg wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 11, 2003 at 01:25:48AM +0200, Richard Lyons wrote:
[...general description snipped...]
> Give more technical detail.  How are you trying to start X?  Most
> importantly of all, what do the error messages say?

Yes.  I do 'startx' - it switches to tty7 and a big debian logo on crumpled
paper appears.  Looks like correct screen res. etc.  The mouse is active.
There is a square thing called 'main' with a paperclip icon and two arrow
corners.  This widget can be moved around.  Three more suare widgets top
right may be part of the bitmap or may be just not active.
Back in tty1, - i'll have to copy this manually - so approx:

Using authority file /...
Writing authority file /...
[repeat 2 lines]

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Debian 4.3.0-0ds4 ...
Release Date: 18 March 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0...
Build Operating System Linux 2.4.21-pre5 i686 [ELF]
Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.4.21-xfs (root@Knoppix) (gcc ver...
(==) Log file: ...
(==) Using Config file...
Skipping "usr/X11R6/lib/modules/extensions/libGLcore.a:m_debug_clip.o": No
symbols found
[4 more similar]
Warning font renderer for ".pcf" already registered at priority 0
[9 more similar]

and that is it.  Nothing more moves.
ps -ef shows 5 or 6 processes that are or may be tty1:
   -sh
   /bin/sh
   xinit
   /usr/bin/X11/X -dpi 100 -nolisten tcp