Re: how NOT to work with debian

On Monday 11 August 2003 3:39 am, Damien Solley wrote:
> It seems to me that if you are seeing the debian logo (xdm, kdm?) then X
> is NOT broken. X is starting, but not giving a login prompt (or was it
> set to auto-login?).

I hate graphic logins, so I always set to text loginand startx explicitly.

If KDE is b0rked, then you should still likely get
> Can you be more specific about the problem? Was the computer set to
> auto-login when X starts? Do you start X via a login manager (xdm, kdm,
> gdm) or via "startx"?? If so, perhaps you need to edit your .xinitrc
> file to start KDE, or just an xterm?

Yes... perhaps so.  It was always defaulting to kde at startx, but I _think_
the huge debian logo indicates it may be trying to start a different WM.

> If it really is an X configuration issue, then "dpkg-reconfigure
> xserver-xfree86" is your friend.

That'll have to be the next thing to try, then...

--
richard