Re: how NOT to work with debian

It seems to me that if you are seeing the debian logo (xdm, kdm?) then X
is NOT broken. X is starting, but not giving a login prompt (or was it
set to auto-login?). If KDE is b0rked, then you should still likely get
Can you be more specific about the problem? Was the computer set to
auto-login when X starts? Do you start X via a login manager (xdm, kdm,
gdm) or via "startx"?? If so, perhaps you need to edit your .xinitrc
file to start KDE, or just an xterm?

If it really is an X configuration issue, then "dpkg-reconfigure
xserver-xfree86" is your friend.

--
Damien Solley
dsolley@student.usyd.edu.au