Re: can't login as root on gdm

On Sun, 2003-08-10 at 11:18, Icarus wrote:
> Hello. I just installed debian woody along with the window enviroment
> (gnome, sawfish). When I get to the GDM login screen I cannot log in
> as root. I'd like to be able to use the GUI as root, but when I switch
> consoles I still can't use startx (because the x-server is already
> running).
>
> I tried killing the x-server on console 7 but can't. I am sent back to
> the GDM login screen.
>
> Does anyone know I can resolve this problem. Thanks.

  /etc/gdm/gdm.conf

Look for:

  [security]
  AllowRoot=false
  AllowRemoteRoot=false

Change it to:
  [security]
  AllowRoot=true
  AllowRemoteRoot=false

Or iffn you really want to open yourself up more than you just did:

  [security]
  AllowRoot=true
  AllowRemoteRoot=true

What was that IP Address again? :)

No seriously folks, logging in as root from the GUI either on console or
remotely isn't a good idea. Just because other Distros do allow it by
default doesn't mean it is a good idea.

--
greg, greg@gregfolkert.net

Your mucuous membranes glisten with the glow of forty-seven burning
violins.