can't login as root on gdm

Hello. I just installed debian woody along with the window enviroment (gnome, sawfish). When I get to the GDM login screen I cannot log in as root. I'd like to be able to use the GUI as root, but when I switch consoles I still can't use startx (because the x-server is already running).

I tried killing the x-server on console 7 but can't. I am sent back to the GDM login screen.

Does anyone know I can resolve this problem. Thanks.