On Woody: (No) Sound with VIA 686a Southbridge, AC 97

'ello, this is my first time to the list.  "Sorry"
ahead of time if I step on any toes.

I've had this large tangle with getting my sound to
work.  I know it works, I had it working before with
support compiled into the kernel... but I recompiled
the kernel, and forgot the working settings and didn't
save the config, so it's as good as gone.  All I know
is what doesn't work, and that _it can_.

My arrangement:
I have the 2.4.18-i686 kernel.  Woody is my package
set.

snip of lspci -v:
--------------------------------------
00:07.0 ISA bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82C686
[Apollo Super South] (rev 1b)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT82686/A
PCI to ISA Bridge
        Flags: bus master, stepping, medium devsel,
latency 0
00:07.5 Multimedia audio controller: VIA Technologies,
Inc. AC97 Audio Controller (rev 21)
        Subsystem: VIA Technologies, Inc. AC97 Audio
Controller
        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
        I/O ports at cc00 [size=256]
        I/O ports at d000 [size=4]
        I/O ports at d400 [size=4]
        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2
--------------------------------------

My indicator of success/failure:
Everytime KDE logs in an account, I get the message
that /dev/dsp cannot be opened, no such device.  The
file exists (it's /dev/dsp --> /dev/dsp0).  I've
already chmod 775'd /devdsp, and I'm assigned to the
"audio" group.  If this message doesn't show up, I've
succeeded.

Here's what's happened as best I can recount:

In kernel compiling, I've attempted using:
    Sound card support (obviously)
        Creative SBLive! (EMU10K1)
        Creative Ensoniq AudioPCI 97 (ES1371)
        VIA 82C686 Audio Codec
        VIA 82C686 MIDI
        OSS Sound Modules:
            100% Sound Blaster compatibles
(SB16/32/64, ESS, Jazz16) support (NEW)

Sometime, I decided to give ALSA a shot, but when I
installed, configured, and compiled, for "via686a --
PCI: VIA 82C686A South Bridge", it told me that the
corresponding source for the VIA686 driver didn't
exist.  However, make doesn't say where from.

find /usr/src/modules/alsa-driver/ -name *via*
returns:
----------------------------------
./pci/via686.c
./pci.via8233.c
./alsa-kernel/pci/via686.c
./alsa-kernel/pci.via8233.c
-----------------------------------
Am I missing something?

The ALSA package in Woody is marked beta.  I'm still
slightly new to Debian; is it possible that the Stable
package set can still have problems, and I should be
looking forward to the Testing set?

VIA also supports drivers for their southbridge, but
when I attempt to install the 2.4 drivers, it won't
let me for any kernel other than 2.4.0.  I can
override the installation script.  Good idea, bad
idea?

Please!  I'm desperate!  Anything that pushes me in
the right direction would be ambrosia.  (New) Kernel,
ALSA, something else, I don't care!

Thanks for reading this far!!

Caidence