Re: Newbie Modem Q

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003, Paul Johnson wrote:

> > USB modems tend toward the win-hardware style also. Others on this list
> > who use modems will probably be able to give you some advice here (I'm
> > on cable modem, so haven't used a modem in some time.)
>
> I said it when I was still on dailup, I still say it today:  If you're
> having problems with an internal modem or a winmodem, scrap it, get a
> real modem (ie, an external modem plugged into /dev/ttyS?) and move on.

I'll second this - software modems tend to have problems, even under
windows.  Using a cheap Intel software modem (device manager shows it
as an Intel 536EP V.92 Modem) gave me a lot of disconnects under
windows.  Using an internal USR 5610/2976 hardware modem under linux
gave me much more solid performance [YMMV].  Bear in mind that the linux
machine is a lowly pentium, and the windows machine is an Athlon.

A cheap software modem costs roughly $20.  The USR 5610 [OEM] /
2976 [retail] costs $50, and is worth every penny for a dialup user.
Plus, it should work under almost any OS that understands what a modem
is.  If that's too much, check ebay, they seem to have the 2976 or
almost identical 2977 for cheap as well.

~ Jesse Meyer

--
         icq: 34583382 / msn: dasunt@hotmail.com / yim: tsunad

   "We are what we pretend to be, so we must be careful about what we
    pretend to be." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr : Mother Night