Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Thu, Aug 07, 2003 at 12:31:12PM -0400, hashi@pooq.com wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:00:02PM -0700, Paul Johnson wrote:
> >
> > Because CR hinders legitimate mail almost as effectively as it hinders
> > spam for about the same false-positive rate as bayesian filtering.
> > Also, you're part of the spam problem if you're not reporting spam.
> > If you're summarily deleting all spam, you're accepting the problem
> > and doing nothing to solve it.
>
> What is the proper way to report spam?

Ooh!  I know this one!

www.spamcop.net has a free reporting service that allows you to forward
spam to them (or paste it into a web interface). It then goes through a
bunch of tests (which I know little or nothing about personally) to
figure out where the spam actually came from, and drafts a complaint
e-mail (from Spamcop) to the spammer's ISP. Add your own comments if
you want, and hit send.

Spam reported through this mechanism is submitted to SpamCop's RBL at
the same time.

	HTH
--