Re: Upgrade from potato to debian

On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 18:10:12 +0200, Shashank Bhide wrote:

> Hello all,
>       I am trying to get my system upgraded from potato to woody. The
> servers in question are production servers. I have mysql databases and
> more such programs running off of these servers. How would a dselect
> upgrade affect all of this? Does an upgrade affect Apache web service? I
> will take a complete back-up of my systems. I will use tar for this
> purpose.
>
>   I have been reading the mailing lists for related problems and the
> upgrade manual as well
> (http://www.debian.org/releases/woody/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html).
> However, at the end of this document it says that the kernel is not
> upgraded to a newer version? How would it affect if I don't upgrade the
> kernel to 2.4 at all?

You can run woody with a 2.2 kernel as well (it's still the default kernel
for new woody installations) However, some features aren't supported by
2.2 kernels. Furthermore, a recent 2.4 kernel will be faster more stable.
So I'd recommend you to install a 2.4 kernel manually after upgrading the
system.