Re: charset in debian mutt

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 11:55:12PM -0700, Marc Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 03:36:28PM -0400, Sridhar Srinivasan wrote:
> > what is the output of locale -a ? i have a similar problem, wherein i
> > have added new locales but they don't show up using locale -a. i
> > posted a message about this a few days ago and was told that there is
> > a bug in glibc 2.3.1. perhaps that is what is affecting you as well.
> No, you were told that glibc 2.3.2 would enhance locale reporting to deal
> with the use of locale-archive files, rather than having to use a separate
> command to see the contents of those, which is hardly the same thing.
> You were ALSO told how to retrieve the true and accurate list of locales
> defined on the box, and yet you tell someone to use 'locale -a' knowing
> that it does not provide that information.

Well, that means i completely misunderstood your reply and the bug
report referenced. my locales as reported by locale -a are

$ locale -a

and by localedef are

$ localedef --list-archive

Setting LANG=en_US or LC_CTYPE=en_US such as in the following commands
doesn't help in showing special characters.

LANG=en_US.utf8 mutt
LC_CTYPE=en_US.utf8 mutt

that is why i assumed that the bug in glibc is not allowing me to the
locale correctly even though it is installed.

i believe any answer to this would be of benefit to the OP of this
thread as well.

PS: Cheryl, sorry for the confusion.