Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful (was Re: Look at

On Wed, Aug 06, 2003 at 05:47:02PM -0500, Alan Shutko wrote:
> I think eskimo.com is rewriting that localhost into eskimo.com.  So
> it isn't actually getting any extra load from Alan Connor... it's
> just slightly damaging the mail.  (Which doesn't strike me as a large
> bug, since he shouldn't be posting with that address, anyway.  Why
> people think that a fake From: but a valid Reply-To: is any use is
> beyond me.)

It's arguably a useful (if rude) tactic in news, since, I hypothesize,
it's much faster for spammers to harvest From: addresses because they're
usually in the overview file while Reply-To: is not. That makes it a
matter of downloading an index versus downloading every article.

That argument doesn't apply to e-mail, though.

Cheers,