Re: Challenge-response mail filters considered harmful

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 04:10:02PM +0100, Colin Watson wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 11:38:48AM -0300, Anthony Rowe wrote:
> >
> > It turns out that the References: and Message-ID: headers are
> > rewritten by the news gateway.  I have since discovered that threading
> > can (hopefully) be preserved by copying the News gateway headers,
>
> Not to those headers in your own post, I hope ... (Apologies if you
> meant to construct a new References: header based on those and I just
> misunderstood you.)

Yes, construct a new References: is what I meant...I think. :) Sorry
that my description was muddled.  I am a little unclear about what I
am doing to get these posts threaded properly.  It involves lots of
editing headers manually and it breaks PGP signed messages and it is,
in all respects, sub-optimal.

> > I am wondering if a post
> > to the gateway could be automated to go out every week or two just to
> > clarify this to the Usenet denizens (who may have legitimate questions
> > for the list)?
>
> I think that would be useful. However, the news gateway is, as far as I
> know, run by a third party, so you'll need to contact whoever that is to
> arrange for it to happen.

Thanks.  That is interesting.  Marco d'Itri runs the bofh.it gateway
(http://www.bofh.it/) for linux.debian.user.  I would like to contact
him about this as you suggest.  I feel it would be courteous (or even
essential) that I sign my mails if I want a private correspondence
with a stranger who is a dd, about a debian-related matter.  I will
try to get a PGP key working (and signed) and then contact Marco.  It
may take a little time but I'll get to it.

Tony