Re: Curious GUI problem

On Tue, 2003-08-05 at 15:28, W wrote:

> Any way, I get a graphical login screen but when I login as root
> it attempts to load KDE but then returns back the login screen like there
> was an error. I am wondering what I did wrong in the setup to have it
> do this. Does anyone have an idea what is going on? I did set the
> resolution during the install for 1280 x 1024 and 24 bit as my monitor is
> capable of this resolution.

I've seen this behavior when I used an existing set of user files with a
distro that mapped that user to a different ID number.  So, RedHat
labelled my user UID 500, and Debian maps it to 1000.  The files
couldn't be written to, so temporaries couldn't be set up, etc.

Since you're logging in as root (UID=0), I don't see how that could
happen, but problems with permissions on files has at least caused these
symptoms for me.

Cheers,
Bret

--