Re: make-kpkg detects wrong processor type

Hi,

* Wayne Gemmell <wayneg@ananzi.co.za> [030806 09:44]:
> Hi, I'm trying to make my own kernel useing make-kpkg to solve my earlier
> problems with DMA etc. When I start the first processor family gets answered
> for me as i386.

I believe this is the default in the .config for the kernel source.

> I run an AMD K7 chip and I would like to compile accordingly.

Then select it...

> How do I change this default and what possible implications ,if any,
> would the changes have for the rest of my Debian setup, apt etc??
> I've tried bash>set HOSTTYPE=k7 bash>export HOSTTYPE but the hosttype
> variable stays the same.

I didn't see the earlier thread to which you refer. That could explain
why I'm a little confused, but I'll try to answer anyway.

> Is there an equivalent for this package with a menu interface like make
> menuconfig in normal kernel compilations? It is so much quicker...

To what package do you refer?

If you are trying to compile a kernel with make-kpkg, you still need to
configure the kernel (eg "make menuconfig"), before "make-kpkg
kernel-image". If you already have a suitable configuration just copy
it to /usr/src/linux/.config (or wherever your kernel source lives).

Have you looked at the docs in /usr/share/doc/kernel-package?

Nick.

--
Debian testing/unstable
Linux twofish 2.6.0-test1-looxt93c7 i686 GNU/Linux