How do I assign multiple IPs from different subnets to the same NIC?

I have NT4 machine which I'm trying to replace with a Debian box. It currently has a secondary IP in a completely different subnet assigned to its public NIC. I'm trying to figure out how to do this in Debian - I think I need to modify /etc/network/interfaces, but I'm not sure how.

For example, the NIC is configured to 192.168.0.2 with netmask 255.255.255.0 and default gateway set to 192.168.0.1. I also need to assign 172.16.0.2/32 to it. I've seen one technique that adds an entry for eth0:0, but I have seen comments elsewhere that indicates that this (aliasing?) is now deprecated. The other instructions for adding a second IP put a line along the lines of "up ip addr add dev $IFACE 172.16.1.106" in to the interfaces file. I haven't been able to get that to work.

I'm running Woody (stable) with a 2.4 kernel. Do I need to install the iproute package (I already). Is there any documentation that you can point me to? My /etc/network/interfaces file looks like the following - what do I need to do it?

# /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(8), ifdown(8)

# The loopback interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The first network card - this entry was created during the Debian installation

# (network, broadcast and gateway are optional)
auto eth0
iface eth0 inet static
       address 192.168.0.200
       netmask 255.255.255.0