Network is unreachable (bcm4400)

Hi,

I have a strange problem with my bcm4400 network card which came with my
laptop. I compiled kernel 2.4.21 with latest bcm4400 driver (borrowed sources
from sid) on a woody system. Kernel modul is installed properly and ifconfig
shows that eth0 is up. It seems that system for some reason fails to
establish DHCP connection. When I boot it immediately reports that network is
up and moves along, yet any attempt to ping anything gives me "Network is
unreachable" message.

To make things even more wierd, if I boot system with my installation kernel
2.4.18-bf2.4 (for which I compiled bcm driver too) everything works
perfectly?!

If anyone has an idea what might be wrong, please help me out with this.
Thanks,
Slaven

p.s.
Please cc me, I'm not currenly on the list.