Completely OT: European mobile text-messaging

I've been wondering what standard, if any, is used around Europe for
mobile text messaging. My brother is an aid worker in Georgia and goes
for weeks at a time without email access while traveling. He told me
today that he can receive mobile text messages from Belgium, France, and
Croatia while he's traveling in the countryside. While I seriously doubt
that I could send him messages directly from my cell phone in the US,
I'm wondering if there's a way to do it online? SMS or something

Alex Malinovich
pgp.net keyservers. Key ID: A6D24837