Re: versioning for custom packages

"Dj Statik" <djstatik@internode.on.net> writes:

> I am wanting to build custom packages of various utilities that are already
> in the Debian archive.
>
> Is there a recommended versioning system I should use while building these
> packages?

You should probably look in the Debian Policy Manual for details on
how the versions work; if it were me, I'd obey the conventions for
non-maintainer uploads (for non-native packages 1.2.3-4, use
1.2.3-4.1; for native packages 2.4.6, use 2.4.6.1).  That makes you
newer than the current Debian version but older than the "next" one,
pretty much whatever it is.

> I thought of using the word "custom" before the version number.
>
> blah-custom.1.0
>
> but dh_make doesn't seem to like non numeric values in the version
> string.

If you really really don't want a pre-packaged version, ever, you also
might use an epoch, like 999:1.2.3-4.

	-- Abra Mitchell