dhclient fails after kernel recompilation

Hi *,
this is my problem:
1) if I use the kernel which comes with debian dhclient works perfectly
2) I recompile the kernel with dhcp support but dhclient fails.

I used strace to understand why and I discovered that:

setsockopt(8, SOL_SOCKET, 0x1a /* SO_??? */, [1074921483], 8) = -1
ENOPROTOOPT (Protocol not available)

then I checked the symbols exported by the kernel having something to do
with setsockopt in System.map
and I found that in the official version and in my version
they are the same but
which is associated with NAT.

Any clue? Suggestions?

PS The same happens with vanilla kernels from kernel.org

 Please no word attachments
fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguire virtute e canoscenza.
Dante, Inf. XXVI 119-120

Ye were not made to live like unto brutes,
But for pursuit of virtue and of knowledge.
(Trans. Longfellow at iltweb.columbia.edu/projects/dante/comedy/index.html)

I skabtes ikke for Dyr at leve,        |I blev ej skabte til som dyr at leve,
men at I Dyd og Kundskab skulle foelge.|men til at foelge dys og vinde kundskab.
(C.K.F. Molbech 1851)                  |(K.H. Andersen 1963)