dhclient fails after kernel recompilation

Hi *,
this is my problem:
1) if I use the kernel which comes with debian dhclient works perfectly
2) I recompile the kernel with dhcp support but dhclient fails.

I used strace to understand why and I discovered that:

setsockopt(8, SOL_SOCKET, 0x1a /* SO_??? */, [1074921483], 8) = -1
ENOPROTOOPT (Protocol not available)

then I checked the symbols exported by the kernel having something to do
with setsockopt in System.map
and I found that in the official version and in my version
they are the same but
nf_setsockopt
which is associated with NAT.

Any clue? Suggestions?

Igor

PS The same happens with vanilla kernels from kernel.org

 Please no word attachments
fatti non foste a viver come bruti,
ma per seguire virtute e canoscenza.
Dante, Inf. XXVI 119-120

Ye were not made to live like unto brutes,
But for pursuit of virtue and of knowledge.
(Trans. Longfellow at iltweb.columbia.edu/projects/dante/comedy/index.html)

I skabtes ikke for Dyr at leve,        |I blev ej skabte til som dyr at leve,
men at I Dyd og Kundskab skulle foelge.|men til at foelge dys og vinde kundskab.
(C.K.F. Molbech 1851)                  |(K.H. Andersen 1963)