debian mutt questions

can anybody tell me whether the debian mutt package is configured to enable
fetching from one's pop server. I get errors when I try to use the pop_host or
pop_user variables in my .muttrc.
Also, I am a bit confused about sending mail in mutt in debian. All the examples
I see have sendmail in the .muttrc; some have /usr/lib/sendmail and some have
/usr/sbin/sendmail; both paths are on my system, but should I be using sendmail
directly or should I be including exim somewhere in my .muttrc entries?

thanks.

Cheryl