Re: debian mutt questions

On Tue, Aug 05, 2003 at 07:52:14AM -0500, Cheryl Homiak wrote:
> can anybody tell me whether the debian mutt package is configured to enable
> fetching from one's pop server. I get errors when I try to use the pop_host or
> pop_user variables in my .muttrc.

I'm not sure of the answer to your question, but a lot of people use
fetchmail or getmail to retrieve the mail from the POP server.  Perhaps
fetchmail might work in your case.  It's also handy if you want to do
mail filtering/sorting later down the track, because then you simply
insert procmail (or similar) into the mix.  I'd guess that most mutt
users use it as a user agent only, without using it to pull messages
from the mail server.

> Also, I am a bit confused about sending mail in mutt in debian. All the examples
> I see have sendmail in the .muttrc; some have /usr/lib/sendmail and some have
> /usr/sbin/sendmail; both paths are on my system, but should I be using sendmail
> directly or should I be including exim somewhere in my .muttrc entries?

exim has a sendmail compatible mode in which it pretends to be sendmail.

If you do "ls -l /usr/lib/sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail" you'll probably
find that they both point to exim via symlinks.  In other words, any
examples using "sendmail" should work OK with exim.

- Chris