Re: Easy/Fast way to view a package's debian/changelog

On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 01:06:13PM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> Also sprach Colin Watson (Mon 04 Aug 02003 at 06:19:34PM +0100):
> > On Mon, Aug 04, 2003 at 09:57:39AM -0500, Michael D. Schleif wrote:
> > > Worse, installing apt-listchanges depends on python-apt, which -- in
> > > turn -- depends on two (2) virtual packages that do *not* exist:
> > >
> > >    libapt-inst-libc6.3-5-1.0
> > >    libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5-3.3
> >
> > You're using testing, I bet. Bits of the dependency tree above apt are
> > broken there at the moment. It was nearly fixed recently but ran into
> > glibc problems due to a mistake.
> >
> > Unstable is fine, though.
>
> I thought that you, Colin, adhered to stable ;>

Me? Hell, no. Well, not always. My server and, for now, my workstation
at work run stable, but my laptop runs unstable and I do all my
development and almost all my home computer use there.

>    # sudo apt-get -u install apt-listchanges python-apt=0.5.5.2
>    Reading Package Lists... Done
>    Building Dependency Tree... Done
>    Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
>    requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
>    distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
>    or been moved out of Incoming.
>    The following information may help to resolve the situation:
>
>    Sorry, but the following packages have unmet dependencies:
>      python-apt: Depends: libapt-inst-libc6.3-5-1.0
>                  Depends: libapt-pkg-libc6.3-5-3.3
>    E: Sorry, broken packages

You want to install apt from unstable as well, which provides those
virtual packages. You'll need unstable's versions of libgcc1 and
libstdc++5.

Cheers,