Re: Sony Digital Camcorder connected via USB possible?

Once upon a time Jamin W. Collins was quoted as saying:

> In general, yes.  With that particular model, no.  All I needed to do
> was treat the camera like any other USB storage device, and make sure it
> was on.

Whilst in general that is true, I had a problem a while back tring to get
my digital camera (epsilon) connected to my box, it uses usb for the
connection, it plugs in fine and I get console msgs regarding a scsi
driver has been loaded,
but I'm unable to access it at all under /dev/sda1.

After several emails to one of the usb maintainers and also on kernel.org,
it seems that whilst the device is saying that it is reported as a mass
staorage device, its actually emulating it (by using windows drivers),
hence unable to connect to any partition at all on the device.

This apparently is the case for a lot of cheapish usb devices, In the end
I bought a Zion smart card reader and used that, plug in and mount as

mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /usb-media

So be prepared for that scenario, whilst it may display as a mass staorage
device, you may not be able to connect to it.

But there are always workarounds, as in my case the Zion Smart card reader

To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism,
to steal ideas from many is research.