Re: kernel-image-2.4.18-686

On 03-08-03 21:09 +0200, Andreas Janssen wrote:
> Richard Lyons (<richard@the-place.net>) wrote:
> > It seems, after _huge_ help from  Andrew McGuinness and others, that I
> > am going to have to change from the bf2.4 flavour to
> > kernel-image-2.4.18-686.  Now, I am scared of messing with kernels
> > anyway, and new to apt as well.  I don't see in the apt HOWTO exactly
> > how to "upgrade" a kernel.  (I've probably just skimmed past that
> > section :-[   ).  Can someone point me to step by step instructions
> > for this?
>
> Actually you are not going to upgrade or replace anything because after
> installing the new kernel image with
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686
>
> the old kernel will still be available. By default Apt will place the
> kernel image in /boot and change the symlinks in / from:
> /vmlinuz => boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18bf2.4
> /vmlinuz => boot/vmliniz-2.4.18-686
> /vmlinuz.old => boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4
>
> If you use lilo, it will already have a section "LinuxOLD" additionally
> to "Linux", so simply rerunning lilo after installing the package is
> all you need to do, and I think even this is done for you by Apt.

Let me make use of the context of this thread to ask a quick question
which may also affect the OP as well.

I've only recently begun to use debian-packaged kernels, and when I
finally installed kernel-image-2.4.18-1-686 yesterday evening, I asked it
to update my lilo.conf with a stanza for the currently running kernel. I
ended up with what's below, and notice the two lines I had added to the
old stanza were preserved for the new kernel, but not for the old.

image=/vmlinuz
        label=Linux
        read-only
        # next line added 2002-09-09 as per kernel-image instructions
        initrd=/initrd.img
        # next line added 2002-12-08 as per cd-writing-howto
        append="hdd=ide-scsi max_scsi_luns=1"
#       restricted
#       alias=1

image=/vmlinuz.old
        label=LinuxOLD
        read-only
        optional
#       restricted
#       alias=2

where the links are...

lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           23 Sep  9  2002 vmlinuz.old -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-686
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           27 Sep  9  2002 initrd.img.old -> /boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-686
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           25 Aug  3 00:01 vmlinuz -> boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-1-686
lrwxrwxrwx    1 root     root           28 Aug  3 00:01 initrd.img -> boot/initrd.img-2.4.18-1-686

Is it true that if your LinuxOLD kernel was an initrd image, that
you've got to manually add the line

       initrd=/initrd.img.old

to that stanza as well, for it to be bootable? And of course any
"append" lines copied for that hardware to work? (I know I do, but maybe
I did something out of the ordinary last September)

TIA,
Kenneth