Re: kernel-image-2.4.18-686

Hello

Richard Lyons (<richard@the-place.net>) wrote:

> It seems, after _huge_ help from  Andrew McGuinness and others, that I
> am going to have to change from the bf2.4 flavour to
> kernel-image-2.4.18-686.  Now, I am scared of messing with kernels
> anyway, and new to apt as well.  I don't see in the apt HOWTO exactly
> how to "upgrade" a kernel.  (I've probably just skimmed past that
> section :-[   ).  Can someone point me to step by step instructions
> for this?

Actually you are not going to upgrade or replace anything because after
installing the new kernel image with

apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686

the old kernel will still be available. By default Apt will place the
kernel image in /boot and change the symlinks in / from:
/vmlinuz => boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18bf2.4
/vmlinuz => boot/vmliniz-2.4.18-686
/vmlinuz.old => boot/vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4

If you use lilo, it will already have a section "LinuxOLD" additionally
to "Linux", so simply rerunning lilo after installing the package is
all you need to do, and I think even this is done for you by Apt.

best regards
        Andreas Janssen

--
Andreas Janssen