RealTek 8139 Problems

When I installed my system with the Debian 3.0 CD, kernel 2.2.0 was installed.
I selected to install the RealTek 8139 drivers and my NIC has been
functioning perfectly.

I've attempted to install 2.4.19, 2.4.21, and 2.6.0-test2.  During a
menuconfig, I specify the RealTek 8139 drivers to be installed as part of the
kernel.  However, when I reboot into the fresh kernel my NIC is undetected
and I have no internet access.  I must reboot into 2.2.0 if my NIC is to be
used.  I've even gone so far as to install _all_ RealTek drivers and no luck.

Any ideas?

Bob
--
Comments are most appreciated,