Re: Question about SCSI IMMED flag in cdrecord!

On Friday 01 August 2003 04:36 pm, Rthoreau wrote:
> Hi fellow Debian users.
>
> I have been pulling my hair out the last three days because every
> time I tried to burn an ISO in cdrecord it locked my system solid.
> Had to do a hard reset.  After pouring over the Man page, searched
> the net I solved my problem.
>
> I wasn't using the -immed flag when burning with cdrecord, which for
> some reason would use all the system bus, therefore lock up the
> computer solid.  According to the cdrecord man page:
>
> This can be useful on broken systems with ATAPI harddisk and CD/DVD
> writer on the same bus or with SCSI systems that don't use
> disconnect/reconnect. These systems will freeze while blanking or
> fixating a CD/DVD or while a DVD writer is filling up a session to
> the minimum amount (approx. 800 MB).
> <snip>
>  A correct solution would be to set up a correct cabling but there
> seem to be notebooks around that have been set up the wrong way by
> the manufacturer. As it is impossible to fix this problem in
> notebooks, the -immed option has been added.
>
> Since I built this system from scratch I know that I used the proper
> cables.  I am also using an SMP system so system resources like cpu
> cycles should not be a problem. I do have cdrw, dvd on the same IDE
> channel.  This is a little unnerving because I thought I had a good
> system. But according to the page I have a broken system, or the
> wrong cables.
>
> I also use cdrdao to burn bin/cue files and I have never had this
> problem.  Could this be a coding problem in Cdrecord, and they using
> the -immed flag is a way out of the problem?  Or is it like they say
> a bus problem?  I am using a current version out of unstable seems to
> be a problem with all versions though.
>
> If I do change motherboards, or my cabling will this solve my
> problem? Or do I have to wait until a future bus is implemented?
> Have any of you played arround with cabling, and motherboads to solve
> this problem?
>
> Rthoreau

I think what the cdrecord info means is do not put a hard drive &
Cd/burner on the same cable. In some notebooks there are only one IDE
controller so this happens, though I haven't actually seen a noebook
configure this way. AFAIk having a cd reader & cd-recorder on the same
bus and copying from one & burning to the other can cause the issue you
mention. If this is the case, DMA  or scsi emulation need to be used.
- --
Greg Madden
Debian GNU/Linux