Question about SCSI IMMED flag in cdrecord!

Hi fellow Debian users.

I have been pulling my hair out the last three days because every time
I tried to burn an ISO in cdrecord it locked my system solid.  Had to
do a hard reset.  After pouring over the Man page, searched the net I
solved my problem.

I wasn't using the -immed flag when burning with cdrecord, which for
some reason would use all the system bus, therefore lock up the
computer solid.  According to the cdrecord man page:

This can be useful on broken systems with ATAPI harddisk and CD/DVD
writer on the same bus or with SCSI systems that don't use
disconnect/reconnect. These systems will freeze while blanking or
fixating a CD/DVD or while a DVD writer is filling up a session to
the minimum amount (approx. 800 MB).
<snip>
 A correct solution would be to set up a correct cabling but there
seem to be notebooks around that have been set up the wrong way by
the manufacturer. As it is impossible to fix this problem in
notebooks, the -immed option has been added.

Since I built this system from scratch I know that I used the proper
cables.  I am also using an SMP system so system resources like cpu
cycles should not be a problem. I do have cdrw, dvd on the same IDE
channel.  This is a little unnerving because I thought I had a good
system. But according to the page I have a broken system, or the
wrong cables.

I also use cdrdao to burn bin/cue files and I have never had this
problem.  Could this be a coding problem in Cdrecord, and they using
the -immed flag is a way out of the problem?  Or is it like they say
a bus problem?  I am using a current version out of unstable seems to
be a problem with all versions though.

If I do change motherboards, or my cabling will this solve my problem?
Or do I have to wait until a future bus is implemented?  Have any of
you played arround with cabling, and motherboads to solve this
problem?

Rthoreau