clamav install on Sid fails on retrieving database

Hi,

I am trying to install clamav, to be able to scan my email and files etc for viri. I am running Sid, all packages are fully updated. No funky apt-sources. I do a apt-get install clamav and get the following:

fourtytwo:~# apt-get install clamav

Reading Package Lists... Done

Building Dependency Tree... Done

  clamav-freshclam

  clamav clamav-freshclam

0 packages upgraded, 2 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

Need to get 0B/198kB of archives.

After unpacking 725kB of additional disk space will be used.

Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Preconfiguring packages ...

Selecting previously deselected package clamav-freshclam.

(Reading database ... 45634 files and directories currently installed.)

Unpacking clamav-freshclam (from .../clamav-freshclam_0.60-4_i386.deb) ...

Selecting previously deselected package clamav.

Unpacking clamav (from .../clamav_0.60-4_i386.deb) ...

Setting up clamav (0.60-4) ...

Setting up clamav-freshclam (0.60-4) ...

Current working dir is /var/lib/clamav/

Checking for a new database - started at Fri Aug  1 09:24:29 2003

And there it sits. I let it run whole night yesterday (above output is when I reproduced the same situation), but it didn’t do anything…

I looked into the script that dpkg tries to execute, it is apparently running the binary file ‘freshclam’ and it gives mirrors.txt als the souce for downloadmirrors. I tried to ping the mirrors and got connections to 3 out of 4. I moved the one that didn’t work down in mirrors.txt, according to the manuel I found somewhere. Also, I used my browser to have a look at one of the downloadmirrors. It is working, I can see the database files freshclam should retrieve for me.

Then I did a tcpdump | grep <hostname of the mirror>, and ran freshclam again. Nothing.

To me it seems that freshclam just sits there and does nothing. Is anyone else able to reproduce? Anyone else aware of this? Or maybe someone with a solution or workaround?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Pim Bliek

PingWings

M:  06-28474259