Re: installing debian though compiling most everything.....

tripolar wrote:

I recently tinkered with another GNU/Linux distro Gentoo. I was impressed with several features- especially having everything run super fast compared to other distros. I am sure there is a simple answer to this though I must ask to get it :-) I would like to go back to debian though start with a very small base then any other programs I install- compile them from source to get a more stripped and fast OS.
I seem to remember some line in sources.list relateding to source.
Any suggestions what to start with?

Also, Do most of you consider Debian better than Gentoo? Why?

Thanks

I played around a bit with this idea and found out that the only thing where I could notice a difference was compilen a custom kernel with the new gcc-3.? and setting the optimization level for my CPU correctly in the Kernel makfile.

/usr/src/linux/arch/i386/Makefile

ifdef CONFIG_MPENTIUMIII
CFLAGS += -march=pentium3 -mmmx -msse
endif

I'm not sure if the -mmx -msse will make any difference because they can only be used for floating point arithmetic, and thats something the kernel doesn't do much.

I also set the optimisation level form -O2 to -O3 in some earlier compilations, but I can't say It made a difference I could notice, beside of increasing the size of the binary so that I couldn't make a rescue-floppy anymore (which I usually don't do anyway).

The other application where I noticed a real difference was with mplayer, which I compiled from source with different optimisations and got big performnce differences when reproducing dvds.

About the Debian or Gentoo question: I liked the idea of gentoo, but found it a bit unpracticable to have to wait all the compilation when installing a little app I just want to try. The other aspect is that Debian is seemlessly integrated comparing with gentoo. (I don't want to start a flame here, it's just my opinion) And you have a lot more ready-packaged applications which makes life easier. Thats the main reason I kept Debian as my OS.

You can also try apt-build, but as I said, compiling the a nice kernel for my cpu was the only thing worth doing in my opinion.

Regards, and sorry for my english

Andreas