Re: pointing device on thinkpad

Dear all,

On Fri, 2003-08-01 at 04:59, Brian P. Flaherty wrote:
> Richard Lyons <richard@the-place.net> writes:
> >
> > Thanks for trying to help.  Just for the record, that did not work.
> > The thinkpad pointing device works fine in X set up as psaux+PS/2.
> > /dev/gpmdata kills it completely.  In neither case will it work
> > outside of X.  Hey-ho, so it goes.
>
> I don't have your machine, I have a newer thinkpad with the little red
> pointer.  But I use gpm and X works fine.  On my thinkpad, my gpm.conf
> has:
>
> device=/dev/psaux
> responsiveness=
> repeat_type=msc
> type=autops2
> append=""
> sample_rate=
>
> Type msc above is MouseSystems Protocol in the XF86Config-4 file:
>
> Section "InputDevice"
>       Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
>       Driver          "mouse"
>       Option          "CorePointer"
>       Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
>       Option          "Protocol"              "MouseSystems"
> EndSection
>
> I hope this is helpful.
>
> Brian

I use gpm-1.20 from the CVS, change the gpm executable in the
/etc/init.d/gpm into /usr/local/bin/gpm

And use this for my T30 (has red pointer and a touchpad at once!):
gpm.conf:
device=/dev/psaux
repeat_type=imps2
type=synps2
append="-3 -S ''"

XF86Config-4:
Section "InputDevice"
        Identifier      "Configured Mouse"
        Driver          "mouse"
        Option          "CorePointer"
        Option          "Device"                "/dev/gpmdata"
        Option          "Protocol"              "ImPS/2"
EndSection

Hope that helps.

Best Regards.
--