Re: Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter

On Thu, 2003-07-31 at 00:44, Andrew McGuinness wrote:
> Agung Suyono wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I'm a new Debian user.  I got a problem on istallation.  My network
> > device, Realtek RTL8139 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter, was not detected.
> > When I tried to configure it using "Configure Device Driver Module"
> > during installation process, it asked me to enter a command line
> > argument.  The installation manual says that I have to consult with the
> > documentation for that kernel driver.  Anybody knows where I can find
> > that kernel driver documentation?  When I didn't enter anything, the
> > installation failed.
> > Thanks for your help.
> > Best Regard,
> >
> > Agung S
> >
> For what it's worth the documentation is in the kernel source.  You can
> see it in
> http://lxr.linux.no/source/Documentation/kernel-parameters.txt?v=2.2.20
> if you don't have the kernel source installed.
>
> I don't think it will help much.  In my experience, PCI cards don't need
> that kind of thing (module parameters for irqs etc.).  I also recommend
> you try the 2.4 boot floppies.
>
> This is about the third person in a couple of days having problems with
> RTL8139-based cards -- I wonder if the Scyld drivers are better than the
> vanilla kernel ones, and If so if it's worth making a custom boot kernel
> that uses those?

I have a 2.4.20 kernel w/ the 8139too compiled in, and have had no
problems.

| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |