Re: extra apt sources, backports etc.

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 15:29, A. Loonstra wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've recently installed woody on a test system. I added the Gnome 2.2
> backport and the Xfree 4.2 backport. I added the following to sources.list
>
> # XFree 4.2
> deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
> # Gnome 2.2
> deb
> ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woo
> dy gnome2.2/
> deb-src
> ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports
> /woody gnome2.2/
>
> Installation went fine but I ran into som problems when aptitude
> suddenly wanted to remove a lot of packages. I managed to fix that but
> aptitude didn't automaticly fix broken dependencies and I had to do that
> by hand.

You no longer need Adrian's xfree86 4.2.1 packages as I supply them with
the backport.  His packages are very good, and xfree86 4.2.1 are just
his sources recompiled on standard woody.  There are a couple of small
patches in mine that work better with gnome2.2 at this moment as well,
but he may be adding those soon.  If you take Adrian's lines out and
just use the gnome2.2 lines, you get everything you need for gnome2.2
and xfree86.  Let me know of any conflicts in my packages.

> Kernel 2.6-test2 came out and I thought let's try this. But I
> had to install gcc and suddenly had different version installed; gcc
> (2.95) gcc-3.0-base gcc-3.3-base. The kernel doesn't want to compile
> telling me lots of includes are missing (fixdep.c). I'm having apt
> horrors, I guess, and am thinking of reinstalling the whole systems (I
> hate it when it's out of control)

If you want to use my gnome2.2 backport, try to remove Adrian's lines in
sources.list and his backports first, and after that, add his in
selectively.  Otherwise just use his backport.

My gnome2.2 backport is not compatible with his for many reasons, one
being freetype.  All of his packages have 'bunk' in the version string,
so they are easy enough to find:

COLUMNS=150 dpkg -l | grep bunk

Once they are all removed, feel free to add Adrian's lines back into
sources.list, and do 'apt-get install gcc-3.2' and have it pull in what
is needed for that package.  When you have the packages you need for
2.6-test2, then comment out his line in sources.list.

Mixing backports can be very tricky because certain libraries need to be
upgraded for one, but conflict with another.  freetype is one such
library.  The semi-official OpenOffice.org and my backport use woody
freetype (2.0.9), however xfree86 4.3 and Adrian uses a backported
freetype (2.1.3) (though my packages now work with xfree86 4.3, if you
have all the proper libraries installed).  Freetype 2.1.3 is not
backward compatible.  Hopefully the person who did the backport cared
enough to have it work on a more or less standard woody, or supplied
alternatives where they had to upgrade a library.  Adrian is one such
person, and I try to be too.  :)

Jamie

--
Email:        jstrand1@rochester.rr.com