extra apt sources, backports etc.

Hi,

I've recently installed woody on a test system. I added the Gnome 2.2 backport and the Xfree 4.2 backport. I added the following to sources.list

# XFree 4.2
deb http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
deb-src http://www.fs.tum.de/~bunk/debian woody/bunk-1 main contrib non-free
# Gnome 2.2
deb ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports/woo
dy gnome2.2/
deb-src ftp://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/mirrors.evilgeniuses.org.uk/debian/backports
/woody gnome2.2/

Installation went fine but I ran into som problems when aptitude suddenly wanted to remove a lot of packages. I managed to fix that but aptitude didn't automaticly fix broken dependencies and I had to do that by hand. Kernel 2.6-test2 came out and I thought let's try this. But I had to install gcc and suddenly had different version installed; gcc (2.95) gcc-3.0-base gcc-3.3-base. The kernel doesn't want to compile telling me lots of includes are missing (fixdep.c). I'm having apt horrors, I guess, and am thinking of reinstalling the whole systems (I hate it when it's out of control)

My question remains what's the best way to manage unofficial backports without having much trouble. I how do others do this?

Arnaud.