Re: Activating ACPI supend and ACPI Hibernate in klaptop

On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 16:32, Marino Fernandez wrote:
> On Tuesday 29 July 2003 6:02 am, Wim De Smet wrote:
> > On Tue, 29 Jul 2003 01:24:05 -0500
> >
> > Marino Fernandez <mjferna@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > Does anybody knows how to do this?
> > >
> > > I've learned in the net that, for example in Mandrake 9.1 you have to
> > > install a package with some scripts (i.e. for suspend
> > > suspend-scripts), and that latter you can invoke them from
> > > /usr/bin/pmsuspend... again, this in mandrake.
> > >
> > > In klaptop there is the configure acpi option, and then it ask for you
> > > to enter the comands "your system uses for 'standby' (temporary
> > > sleep), 'suspend' (suspend-to-RAM) and 'hibernate'
> > > (supend-to-disk)"...
> > >
> > > Anybody knows how to do this in debian?
> > >
> > > Thanks
> >
> > AFAIK all you need is the necessary kernel drivers and the acpid
> > package. Everything should work then.
> > (I don't really know if acpi is available in the stock kernels, since
> > it's marked experimental in 2.4.2x)
> >
> I compiled ACPI support in the kernel on 2.6.0-test2, and I have acpid already
> up... I just do not know how to tell my machine to go to sleep!

There is some script I found on the software suspend (i think its under
swspnd) page under sourceforge. Its somewhat old but it works as far as
I can tell.
What it does is bring down services modules and programs specified and
then brings them back up when the computer wakes up, so that usb/pcmcia
etc won't lock the computer.
Its an install script called sleep.sh that installs
/usr/local/bin/hibernate.
I know there is some patch to init I think but I am not sure, never used
it.
To just make the computer hibernate do
echo 4 > /proc/acpi/sleep
To make the computer sleep try either
echo 1 > /proc/acpi/sleep
echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep
they are two different levels of power down, 3 is more problematic and
is broken on my laptop.
You may need the script to stop some probelmatic services and drivers
like I said but it depends on your setup.

Email me privately if you want me to mail you the script.