Re: more install problems

Andrew McGuinness wrote:

The RPM stuff has probably been unpacked by your driver disk.

It looks like the driver module is supposed to compile against pcmcia-cs (I'm not sure why). Possibly you need to get the source of this package. Woody uses 3.1.33, but you would want to get the source from the debian ftp server.

On general principle, I treat linux drivers provided by hardware vendors as a last resort. If they're not brand new, then someone somewhere will have integrated them properly into the kernel (if they're open source) or replicated them if they're not. You should try to get the standard Realtek driver to work before you resort to trying to use IBM's

More information:

The driver you have been provided with seems to be a version of Donald Becker's 8139 driver. This was replaced in the standard kernel with a fork of it that is called 8139too.

The first thing to try is (with the 2.4.18-bf24 kernel you are using)
# modprobe 8139too

It's a bit of a long shot but it's too easy not to try.

If that fails, you need to go back to compiling the driver you have been given. It looks, as I said, as if it wants the source to pcmcia-cs. If you had a working network card, you could just

# apt-get source pcmcia-cs

Otherwise you'll have to obtain them from the debian source archive.

As someone else pointed out, you also need the kernel-headers package that matches your kernel. I think you probably have that by default.

--
Andrew