DVD audio extraction

I can get audio extracted from vob files with mplayer, but I was
wondering if there were any tools to make it a bit easier.

For example, I might like to say, extract enough chapters from title 1
to fill up no more than 30 minutes of audio, but don't break any
chapters in the middle.  And then fade out the last 20 seconds of audio.

Or another way: extract all the audio, split into 30 minute chunks,
always split at a chapter mark, if possible, and fade out and in at the
splits.

All from the command line, of course.

BTW -- is there a good DVD primer?  I don't really understand them.
Seems like I loose my title/chapter info when I access the vob files
directly -- I assume there's some meta data that indexes into the vob
files to mark the chapter locations.

--
Bill Moseley
moseley@hank.org