Re: no days in uptime

On Wed, 2003-07-30 at 04:09, Sebastiaan wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, 30 Jul 2003, Florian Ernst wrote:
>
> > Hello Sebastiaan!
> >
> > At Wednesday 30 July 2003 08:50 Sebastiaan wrote:
> >
> <snip>
> > > For some reason, after 497 days the uptime doesn't return day
> > > information any more:
> > >
> > > $ uptime
> > >  08:36:00 up 14:48,  2 users,  load average: 0.08, 0.18, 0.16
> > >
> <snip>
>
> > > I am running kernel 2.4.18 on a PowerMac.
> > >
> > > Any ideas what is going on here?
> >
> > Yep, "jiffies rollover", see
> >
> > http://e-zine.nluug.nl/hold.html?cid=158
> >
> > for further info.
> >
> > HTH,
> > Flo
> >
> I already suspected something like this. Let's hope it's fixed in 2.6.
> Sloppy bug though.

No, I disagree.  When the kernel designers made the jiffie an unsigned
long integer, the gcc compiler did not do 64 bit arithmetic very
quickly.  And something like that, on a 386 (when this was developed),
needs to be *very* efficient.

Thus, it's a reflection of reality, not a bug.
http://kt.zork.net/kernel-traffic/kt20030223_206.html#1
| Ron Johnson, Jr.        Home: ron.l.johnson@cox.net             |
| Jefferson, LA  USA                                              |
| "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian  |
|  because I hate vegetables!"                                    |
|    unknown                                                      |