Re: more install problems

On Wed, Jul 30, 2003 at 02:20:47AM +0100, Richard Lyons wrote:
>   Realtek CardBus Ethernet Card Installation on Linux
>
>   1. Compile the source code :
>    ->Copy the source code rtl8139.c (ver 1.08 above) to a directory
>      and execute "gcc -DCARDBUS -DMODULE -D__KERNEL__ -Wall
>    -Wstrict-prototypes
>    -O6 -c rtl8139.c -o realtek_cb.o
>    -I/usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/"
>      The directory "pcmcia-cs-3.0.9" stands for the card service
>      version you use. Please change it to the version on your system
>      in order to include proper .h file. The final file is
>      realtek_cb.o
>
>   2. Copy driver :
>    ->Copy the file "realtek_cb.o" to "/lib/modules/2.2.14-5.0/pcmcia"
>
>   3. Edit config:
>    ->Add 5 lines to the file "/etc/pcmcia/config"
>   [...]
> after that it should be easy.
>
> This doesn't seem to be workable with the directory structure debian
> has installed.  I have managed to copy the file to a directory (in
> spite of the thinkpad not being able to read floppies properly - but
> that is a separate problem).
>
> In para. 1. there is no directory like
> /usr/src/linux/pcmcia-cs-3.0.9/include/ - I cannot find any
> *pcmcia*/include/.  What should I do here?

I'm no pcmcia guru, but try /usr/src/linux/include/pcmcia.  Or
/usr/src/linux/drivers/pcmcia.

> If someone can help me here, I can try to compile this.  If it
> succeeds, it will be the first time I ever compile anything
> successfully!  The floppy they provide also includes a file called
> 'kern_compat.h', but there are no instructions what to do with it.
> It is mentioned once in rtl8139.c as follows:
>   #ifdef INLINE_PCISCAN
>   #include "k_compat.h"
>   #else
>   // #include "pci-scan.h"
>   #include "kern_compat.h"
>   #endif
> which looks commented out to me, but I don't pretend to know C.  Can
> anyone tell me if I need to copy it too?

No point in copying it, it will be used in the compilation.  The # means
that that line is dealt with by the C preprocessor.  Effectively before
compiling that file, it will include the contents of kern_compat.h in it,
to benefit from it's declarations.

This is basically to avoid having everything in one file, and to enable
files to share declarations.  Ironically the line above it _is_
commented out (that's the //).

Antony